According to Mark Roemer Oakland, when the summer heat becomes unbearable, ceiling fans are not sufficient to keep you cool and calm. And, if you don’t have an air conditioner at home or it is not working properly, you have to get creative to handle the rising temperatures.
Here are the steps you can follow to cool your room and beat the summer heat:
1. Use the ice fan cooling trick – The ice fan cooling trick is perhaps the easiest way to cool down your room in the summer if you don’t have an air conditioner in your apartment or home. You just need to get a powerful table fan, plenty of ice, and a bowl for it to work. Now, let’s look at the steps below:
- Empty all the ice in your freezer and put it inside a large bowl or pot. You can even purchase a few ice cubes or dry ice from the store if you want. Although you have to be careful while handling dry ice since it doesn’t melt and evaporates into carbon dioxide.
- Get your table fan, put it on a desk or table, and point it towards where you want to enjoy the air. For instance, you can point it towards your bed or an area where you want to sit and relax or enjoy movies. Ensure to keep the setting in non-oscillating motion and set it to its most powerful speed.
- Put the bowl or pot with the ice cubes in front of the fan and switch it on. Ensure the bowl or the pot is at the correct level so that the fan can blow directly from the bowl to yourself and the rest of the room. Otherwise, the setup will not work efficiently. You can place the bowl or container on top of other objects such as a small table or even books to keep it at the correct level.
- Sit at the desired place and enjoy the cool breeze of the fan. Replenish the ice in the bowl as it begins to melt after some time. For the best results, we recommend you consume a cool drink to stay hydrated and comfortable.
2. Create a Styrofoam cooler – You can use a Styrofoam icebox to create a DIY air cooler pretty easily. It’s a great alternative to the ice fan cooling trick. All you need to do is add a small fan and two dryer vents.
First, ensure you carefully trace the circumference of the fan on the center of the cooler’s cover. Next, you have to trace the dryer vent openings on both sides. After that, you can cut along the lines, clear up the stray bits of foam using a vacuum and insert the fan with the blower side down and the vents into the openings. Then, you just have to insert a few water bottles with frozen water into the cooler, replace the cover, switch on the fan, and enjoy the cool breeze.
Mark Roemer Oakland suggests you get an air conditioner if you don’t own one or replace it with a new one if it is not working properly to enjoy the best cooling experience during the hotter months of the year. You can use the AC and the ceiling fan simultaneously to have the best cooling effect and air circulation.